05 April 2012

Another Shape of Grace

Perhaps I owe an apology to those who've read my last post.  As I read it today, I see many opportunities for misunderstanding.  I can read my own emotional curve, but that's because I felt it.  However, I can't expect everyone else to read and feel my frustration, which led to conviction, which led to helplessness.  Someone I care about read it and saw anger.  This got me thinking.


Yes, I was angry.  However, that has not changed my love for my church.  I've also been angry with my friends, but I haven't disowned them.  Sometimes, I'm angry with my wife.  Yet, I love her more today than I ever have (though I expect to be angry with her again, I also expect to love her more in the future).  Dear reader, you can see in my first post that I believe love involves an intensity of emotions across the spectrum.  The opposite of love is not antipathy, but apathy.  Antipathy, a (hopefully passing) feeling sometimes called "hate," can show up when someone I love hurts me.  However, reflecting on it in light of grace quickly leads to conviction.  If left unresolved, that can lead to helplessness.


Do you know what I did? I talked to the people who offended me.  Do you know what happened? They showed me grace and love.  I cannot tell you how often this has been my experience.  I am so blessed to be ministered to by people who love me.


Dear reader, unadressed conflict breeds bitterness.  Do not let this happen.  Your offender is unlikely to be the sadistic ogre that argues with you in your mind.  I urge you to give God's grace a chance to heal your wounds and make fertile your relationships.  This is one shape of the gospel in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment