19 July 2011

Sunday

I've developed a certain habit.  During sermon time, I now listen best by scribbling notes in my journal.  Most sermons make use of two facing pages.  The right hand side contains the actual outline, which seems to comprise the majority of sermon notes in our world.  The left hand page, on the other hand, contains my impressions.  Often, it's filled with phonological hypotheses and rudimentary syntax trees.  Just as often, it's filled with scathing remarks that well out of my less sanctified cisterns of vitriol.


Sermons are not terrible.  It just happens that most of them are, shall we say, feeble.  A person of my particular educational background is accustomed to Biblical exposition that is sometimes erudite and sometimes piercing.  Most of it is critical of the status quo, of which nearly every Sunday sermon is a bastion.  Just recently, while listening to a sermon peppered with its fair share of misogyny and condescension (anything for a laugh, eh?), I furiously scritched the following onto the left hand page.
Why the Sermon cannot be the central part of the church's life: 
Sermons are crafted (or at least assembled) to communicate to the lowest common denominator.  I am not part of that group, and neither are hundreds of others in this room.  Paul was irritated that he could not preach spiritual meat to churches that should have been ready for it. We have new people come in here all the time, and I agree that we must communicate with them in a way that is meaningful to them (i.e. spiritual milk).
However, this is not helpful for the hundreds of more mature people in the congregation.  These people must develop meaningful friendships with each other, and much of this meaning must be found in seeking deeper, more meaningful knowledge of God.  It's okay that this kind of learning does not happen from the pulpit's teaching.  However, it's not okay to avoid it because it's hard to come by.
Obviously verboten is the assumption that it's ok to be destructively critical of the immature nature of Sunday's sermon.  Also ganz verboten is the assumption that no one else can be found on one's own level of maturity.  No one? Really? I'm not that special.
It should go without saying that I wrote this as a sort of therapy to myself, to calm myself out of my elitist rage. As such, I fully expect one or two of my readers to react strongly against some of my words.  I'm actually asking for that, because the last thing I need is for my ire to spoil on my private pages, its rotten stench accomplishing nothing but the festering of the harmful elitism in my soul.


Dear reader, I need you.  Our Lord created us for community with one another.  He exists in triune relationship, and we are created to enjoy relationship.  I need you as much as you need me, because only with each other can our education and experience be used as it was intended: for the building up of the body.  That is worship.


I pray that you will join me in rejecting the temptation to believe that Sunday church is a sufficient weekly dose of fellowship.  The sermons aren't that good.  They will never be that good.  But, I can guarantee you that they get a lot better in applied discussion.


It's late for me, and I'm nodding off.  This is the worst time of day I could possibly post this, but here it goes.  If it goes badly, I'll ask for your forgiveness.  Still, I think it's about time for a post written with a bit less perfectionistic inhibition.

2 comments:

  1. For years now I've wondered what church services would look like if they better integrated the "one another" types of edification put forward in Scripture... something more participatory and relational.
    I think small churches make it possible. Ever since being part of HTC, I love small churches. One of my soapboxes is planting new churches instead of going mega. Anyway, I have realized in the last few years that sermons affect me most when I really know and respect the teacher. In example--in Joseph Kim's first year at HTC, he was in mine and Matt's community group, and we got to know him even more through our year and a half in Chicago Plan. So a few weeks ago when we got to listen to him preach for the first time in 6 months (now that we're in Denver), I found myself to be incredibly attentive and open, despite my lack of sleep. Because he had in the past been vulnerable in asking for prayer concerning his sermon prep, and because I know his love for the Lord and the people of HTC, I hear his sermons differently. I wonder if all church members were able to know their pastors more personally if they would be more gracious and more easily encouraged. I can't say this would work for all people, but even sermons with nothing especially new or deep can build me up when I know the heart behind them which makes them not just a typical presentation of the Gospel, but a passionate and humble exaltation of our loving, life-giving God.

    So all of that to say that I agree--the church should not settle for the "fellowship" of a Sunday morning church service, but getting to know the pastor can give a new relational dynamic to even his least interesting sermons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know you're not going to get much argument from me on that one. My (hypothetical) next post will most likely be on the very same subject, so I doubt I'll be bringing much balance there. And I've never been the kind of person to listen to extra sermons online (which always seemed to be an exercise in gluttony for punishment), but since I finished school I've started craving good, incisive, stimulating, challenging, biblically-hearted as well as biblically-minded preaching. And for that, I've been turning to the archives of the pastor at the church I interned at last summer. They're all on iTunes as podcasts, but I'll direct you to this, (this is the preceeding message). One of the many things I appreciate about this guy is that he assumes his audience AREN'T IDIOTS. And if you ask me, this is the level preaching should be happening at.

    Here's his blog; the iTunes podcasts, and I just found the vodcasts, too. \o/ Enjoy. Once you're back from Disneyland, that is.

    ReplyDelete