12 November 2010

Entr-Acte: On Coffee & Worship

My previous post speaks of worship in epistemology. I plan to continue that discussion directly, but not presently. For presently, I sit in a coffee shop I've never before visited, and I've had a most glorious experience of worship by way of this feminine epistemology. Such language tends toward the flighty and erudite, so I here present a concrete exempli gratia. (would you like that irony shaken or stirred?)

Since I came to this place in search of unusually good coffee, I was much intrigued by the menu item entitled "Clever Coffee." The barista described it to me as a coffee-lover's coffee, intended for those who mean to delight in every last flavor note, be it nutty, fruity, chocolatey, or otherwise. Sold.

Since my favorite accompaniment of coffee is a baked good, I also opted for one of the most scrumptious cookies I'd ever laid eyes on. Think "monster cookie" (oatmeal, chocolate chips, raisins, peanut butter) with extra milk and white chocolate on top, and of course large enough to be worth $2.25.

I sat down for a deep-heart conversation with a dear friend, and the cookie was soon delivered. I waited a moment or two, out of respect for the awaited coffee, but my resistance was to no end. As I took my first bite, my eyes closed slowly (by reflex), and I let out a sigh of defeat. That's right, defeat. The fresh succulence and understated decadence of the cookie flowed through my senses. I had to take this slowly.

Then, only a minute later, came the coffee. The barista brought it to me with a song, the lyrics of which promised that the drip would blow my mind. Everyone in the room expected something wonderful.

I sipped the caffeinated elixir slowly. Being careful to let it cover my palate, I languished in wonder. Sip. Sip.

"This is totally an act of worship." I assured my friend, against his incredulous expression, "I'm not using a bit of hyperbole."

In my masculine mind, I would analyze the brew down to its constituent parts. Hot. Fruity. Minimal acidity. Far more flavorful than any coffee I'd had in months. But, in my feminine mind, I simply delighted in it for what it was. Here, in this cup and on this plate, I had elements that touched at the extremities of pleasure in taste, smell, texture, and beyond. As I consumed them, I found myself thanking God for providing finite expressions of His beauty in all of creation. Even in these manmade trinkets, I could find elements of the glory of God.

Put another way, these sensory delights are unsatisfactory. Sure, I can delight in them for a moment, but they must end, and they do not fill my deepest longings. What they do is point towards the eternal fulfillment of my eternal desires. Like never before, I find myself living the truth of I Corinthians 10:31 - "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

The people who made the coffee can be found here.
The people who sold the coffee can be found here.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Tim. Thanks. I LOVE your writing! This is almost exactly how I feel when I taste wonderful coffee. Seeing worship in every facet of our lives gives all the more glory to our Creator. I also liked the fact that you made sure to mention that although these things are wonderful expressions of worship, they won't satisfy. I can't wait to be utterly satisfied in our Lord in glory. For now, I will glory in my Creator through coffee, the wind, a sunset, and babies. (wow, that sounds kind of naturalistic, but you know what I mean..) ok, long comment. But congrats again on your engagement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Monica! Yeah, in case it didn't come across by implication, I also worship well through words, hence the existence of this blog. I write to prick at the ideas that well up in the hearts of others, to express that which is often left unarticulated.

    Also, to be clear, the barista was actually singing an impromptu song when he handed me my coffee. Yep.

    ReplyDelete