10 December 2009

Introitus

So we come to it at last. A time was, in the years of Junior High, when I had a blog. Its primary purpose was to complain about life while recounting the major events of each day. I like to think that I've grown up a bit in the last decade, and so has my method of looking at the world. My thoughts may be more appreciative, more cynical, and perhaps more lovely than they once were. I've realized that even my cynicism is an expressive outlet of my love. In the recent weeks and months of classes and readings, I've come to understand that hate and love are bound up in each other. I cannot hate you, or do hateful things towards you, if I do not love you. Without love, I am indifferent.

Geisteskrankenheit is the German word for mental illness. It's literal translation is "soul-sicknes," and as such it alludes to the deep longing I have to come to a better understanding of that which bothers me. Most people call this obsession, and its outworking often looks like obsessive compulsion -- these are behaviors that our society may label as mental illness. Thus, we have a lexical loop, the product of which is an apropos name for my blog.

Please don't misunderstand me to be saying that I intend to be only and ever soberly philosophical herein. Though that is likely to be a frequent theme, I imagine that the reader will most frequently come away from this microcosm in laughter, pondering the madness of the author.

My name is Timothy. Welcome to my Geisteskrankenheit.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm your first follower! It's ok that you want to be like me. Haha :) Interesting name - you understand no one will be able to pronounce it; but that's what makes it perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a few hours to come up with the name, actually. Jens suggested "Tim's Whims," which was riotously funny but totally unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curious - why does it let me comment on this post and not the next? The formatting of these things are infuriating, although I believe I've whinged about that on my blog so I won't waste time doing so on yours.

    Such a pity, because I was actually boiling my kettle (just a stove-top one, but I like it, and it's also crimson) to make tea when I sat down to read it. Then again, I'm not a tea snob, but I suspect I am an addict, at least of hot beverages I can cradle.

    Will comment on buying habits in the next post, should you manage to finagle the comments to be enabled. Wretched system!

    ReplyDelete